Saturday, September 01, 2007

What is the worst thing that can occur? (an echoing in eternity)



I have decided... actually I hit DSM up many moons ago about this...

I have decided to post some of the e-mails from the volumoinous, dusty archives of the ongoing conversation between D.S. Martin and myself. I chose this transmission to lead with because;

A. Its a good one.
B. I am not sure if I answered any of these questions- at least not well, because I found them deeply penetrating, insightful, tough, perhaps pre-mature in our conversation... at least pre-mature for where I was really intending to go in the alotted timeframe we were working with.
C. I wonder if the answers DSM was pondering for these questions has changed from the time he asked them.

Here is the first installment of: Quantum Contemplations: Dialog Flucuating In Eternity

E-mail entitled: More Questions to consider

Scott,

There are some questions that I have pondered over the years in various contexts and by which I have been personally challenged.
These questions will directly impact our discussion about "Christianity" bringing horror to your ancestors and others.
I would like to know if you, personally, have answers to these questions, but even if you do not, I think that the questions are valuable to contemplate.
My formulation of the underlying question came about as a result of my struggle with the issue of Capital Punishment by a government.
If Capital Punishment causes the death of "innocent" people, which I know it does, (I put 'innocent' in quotes because the term is relative. Thus, no adult is innocent in real terms.), would there be an overarching value in allowing the individual to remain alive for a few years, yet, nevertheless to go to hell?
This question, obviously, would be directed to an omnipresent, omniscient, omni-benevolent, merciful, and just God.

1) What is the worst thing that can occur to any human being, man, woman, or child?

2) If torture and death is the worst thing that could happen, Where does this put damnation to hell?

3) If hell is the worst thing that could happen, Where does this put torture and death?

4) If hell is the worst thing that could happen, What level and/or number of tortures and death would make salvation of one solitary soul untenable?

5) If there is no level of torture and death that could justify the salvation of one solitary soul, What does this imply for Jesus' suffering torture and death?

6) If there is an acceptable & narrowly restricted level of torture and death that would make the salvation of one solitary soul acceptable, Where is that limit?

7) What is the fundamental value a soul who rejects God and will forever embrace Satan?

8) What is the cumulative value of a finite number of souls who reject God and will forever embrace Satan?

9) If hell is the worst thing that could happen, Could the preservation, for a finite number of years, of a finite number of souls who reject God and will forever embrace Satan, be preferable to the salvation of one solitary soul?

10) Has a single solitary soul attained salvation by Jesus as a result of the horrors of "Christianity"?

11) If a soul prayed to God for "the way" and the Lord answered the prayer and sent an evangelist to explain the way of Jesus (Like Cornelius' answered prayer in Acts 10), but which also brought torture and death to them and many others as well, Would the answered prayer be unjustified?

What do you think? Are there answers?

DSM

No comments: